Veetee, the ‘Masters of Rice’, wanted to increase label application efficiency coupled with applying a completely new look for its one and two compartment rice packs.
Veetee challenged us to provide a linerless solution capable of applying clear labels at speeds averaging 100ppm in full wrap and c wrap formats. The rice producer also wanted to apply vital information such as use-by dates, nutritional information and batch codes to the base of the packs. By adding the ‘need to know’ information to the base means that the top of the pack is largely clear, allowing the freshness of the product to shine through. Transparent food packaging is one of the latest food packaging trends. Research has shown that consumers are finding it increasingly important to see the actual product they’re buying.
The award-winning Veetee brand was founded in 1987 by founder, Moni Varma. Moni was heavily influenced by family-run rice farms in his homeland of India which led him to set up Veetee Rice in North London. From humble beginnings, VeeTee’s first rice mill, in Perivale, included just 2 silos. Fast forward to present day and Veetee’s milling capacity now stands at 50,000 tonnes per annum. Due to the continued success of the business, the company has since moved to a purpose-built riverside facility in Rochester, Kent. Business operations have also expanded with a factory now established in India, in order to gain a presence in the country where it all began and where much of the harvested rice is grown.
A Nobac 500 was built for applying linerless labels in the necessary formats and we also set about designing a totally bespoke self adhesive base labelling system that could handle small volumes for applying labels to their one and two compartment rice packs.
Key Features: Nobac 500
- Inline machine designed for maximum flexibility
- Eliminates the need to turn the packs
- Capable of applying labels in many different formats using varying substrates
- Label/Sleeve width to a maximum of 125mm
- Speeds of up to 150ppm are achievable
- Wasted printed labels on changeovers minimised by printing at point of application.
- Eliminate wasteful and non recyclable backing paper
- Reduce landfill disposal and the costs that come with it
- Linerless labels allow for more labels per roll, resulting in longer runs and increased uptime
- Linerless reels weigh up to 40% less and take up 40% less space than those with carrier backing paper
- Increase in production efficiency
Key Features: Veetee Base Labeller
- Easy operator access is achieved to the individual labelling heads even when the system is in operation. This element allows for reloading of the labelling heads with new label stock without the need for switching the system off so reducing system down time.
- Labelling head auto changeover system for label media run out or snappages. Reducing system stoppages whilst in production.
- Full system synchronisation for gapping and label placement using a state-of-the-art PLC and HMI control system.
- Non-stop application achieved via a twin head base labeller
- Automatic barcode reading and reject station for flagging up non-compliant or unlabelled products.
- Robust stainless steel base frame and solid one-piece aluminum side plates for complete system rigidity.
- Simple screw thread side adjustment for placing the labelling head into the correct position for label placement on to the product.
- Single label or dual label application to each individual pack at a push of a button.
- System labelling speeds from 90 to 120 products per minute.
- Pre-marked system infeed and outfeed lockable guide collars for easy and fast pack width setup.
Paul Beamish, Founder of Ravenwood said: “Moni wanted to find a new way to label small volumes, giving a new look to the existing top seal on his rice packs, so allowing consumers to see the freshness of the product. Since it’s installation, we’ve received great feedback with regards to the machine’s performance and functionality. Moni was great to work with and we would welcome the opportunity of working with Veetee again on future projects.”.
Moni Varma, Founder of Veetee Rice commented: “Ravenwood provided us with a solution to our needs, which is easy to operate and maintain. The equipment is at its heart, user friendly, from an operator’s perspective, this coupled with the support Ravenwood has provided as we started using the equipment was excellent. This included telephone support during our learning phase, and on request, an engineer was always made available, the equipment is a great asset to our operations.”